Corelight is an early-stage security startup based in downtown San Francisco and Columbus, OH. We secure some of the most sensitive and mission-critical networks in the world, and our rapidly-growing customer base includes eight of the Fortune 50. Based on the Zeek Network Security Monitor, a beloved and widely used open-source framework, Corelight Sensors transform high-volume network traffic into ‘rocket fuel’ for security analytics and operations. Following in the footsteps of successful open-source security companies such as Sourcefire, Corelight's unfair market advantages include its founders: the inventor of Zeek (formerly Bro) and its key open-source committers. Join Corelight and help us make the world's networks safer.
One of our most outward-facing roles is training customers, prospects, and the Zeek community. We build, maintain, and deliver multi-day courses that are tailored to our students' needs. As we scale, we are eager to expand our Training team to deliver more frequent trainings, support larger training events, and keep our curriculum fresh.
We are seeking a talented, resourceful, and collaborative Sr. Network Security Instructor to work with our Training team. A strong candidate will be comfortable with incident response and threat hunting tools and processes. In customer-facing tasks, this person will be able to succinctly describe cybersecurity attacks and risks, articulate Corelight's technology and unique ability to provide data, and demonstrate how Corelight data uniquely gives defenders the advantage.
This role will include some variety of the following:
- Update our curriculum to reflect new features and use cases based on realistic and recent network-based attacks
- Lead and/or assist in the delivery of one-, three-, and five-day training events (virtual or in-person)
- Improve automation in our AWS-based training environment to perfect the student experience and minimize costs
- Build real-world, complex lab environments to demonstrate modern network attacks for integration in our popular Capture The Flag (CTF) events
- Write, proofread, and test questions for our CTF exercises within our custom environment
- Develop and/or assist in the creation and production of recorded, on-demand curriculum
- Present physically and virtually at technology events and conferences
- 3+ years experience in a technical educational role (training, content creation, etc.)
- Strong background in cybersecurity concepts, incident response tools/techniques, and threat hunting methodology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong desire to create professional-grade curriculum
- Love to create educational plans and course materials: slides, videos, lab documentation, lab environments, etc.
- Eager to keep learning about new attacks, mitigations, and the techniques of both offense and defense
- Optional: Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (or equivalent experience)
A strong candidate will ideally be comfortable:
- Working with Zeek and Suricata logs to analyze modern network attacks
- Describing network administration, firewall configuration, and TCP/IP concepts
- Understand cybersecurity roles within a large enterprise (such as the IT helpdesk, NOC, SOC, etc.)
- Scripting in one or more of the following: Zeek, Bash, Python, Perl, Powershell, etc.
- Configuring and automating AWS services such as EC2, S3, Route53, and CloudFormation
- Travelling to conferences and in-person classes (as required, when it is safe to do so)
- Working within a fast-paced startup, to include taking ownership of tasks, communicating decisions and updates, and demonstrating regular progress
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is clear demonstration of skill, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
Diversity of background and thought makes for better problem solving and more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.